Per Diem Child Life Specialist
Child Life Specialist opportunity in Pediatrics - Support Program
Ideal candidate must have a Bachelor's degree in Child Life, Child Development or related field. Must obtain Certification as a Child Life Specialist (CCLS) by the Child Life Certifying Committee (CLCC) within one year of job entry. Prefer candidates with three years' experience working with children in a hospital setting.
Provides and promotes effective coping through play, preparation, education, and self-expression activities for pediatric patients receiving medical care and treatment.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
Delivery of Psychosocial Care to Patients and Families:
- Formulates and implements a psychosocial and/or therapeutic activity utilizing evidence-based practice that is consistent with the medical needs and developmental level of each patient.
- Integrates therapeutic and psychosocial activities in partnership with the family and healthcare team.
- Assesses and meaningfully interacts with infants, children, youth and families.
- Provides a safe, therapeutic and healing environment for infants, children, youth and families.
- Assists with infants, children, youth and families in coping with potentially stressful events.
- Provides teaching, specific to the population served, including psychological preparation for potentially stressful experiences, with infants, children, youth and families.
- Continuously engages in self-reflection of child life practice.
- Develops and evaluates child life services.
Multidisciplinary Team Member:
- Functions as a member of the services team.
- Implements child life service within the structure and culture of the work environment.
- Represents and communicates child life practice and psychosocial issues of infants, children, youth and families to others.
Other duties as assigned
Required Education: Bachelor's degree in Child Life, Child Development or related field. Six months of experience working with children in a mental health or medical setting.
Required Certification: Certified Child Life Specialist (CCLS) by the Child Life Certifying Committee (CLCC).
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
- Requisition ID: 154825
- Employment Status: Per Diem
- Employee Status: Regular
- Work Week: Day/Evening
- Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 26,676
- Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 26,676
- Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 26,676
- FLSA: non-exempt and eligible for overtime pay
- Fund Type: Hard
- Work Location: Onsite
- Pivotal Position: Yes
- Referral Bonus Available?: No
- Relocation Assistance Available?: No
- Science Jobs: No
The official account of MD Anderson Cancer Center, a leader in cancer care, cancer research and the fight to #EndCancer.