Part Time Field Interviewer, National Study of Mental Health
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Part-time work paying $20.00 per hour.
RTI International is seeking self-motivated and outgoing individuals to work on a government-sponsored research study, the National Study of Mental Health (NSMH) as Part-Time Field Interviewers. This important study provides up-to-date information on a variety of mental health conditions in the United States and explores connections between mental health issues and services.
This position on the NSMH project offers:
- A virtual, paid training, scheduled for mid-May that is 5 days in length
- Paid mileage for traveling to selected households
- Opportunity to work on a project that collects data to understand the unmet needs of individuals and families living with mental illness
- Certified bilingual interviewers will be paid a higher hourly rate
This is an excellent opportunity for individuals looking for a part-time work with a variable schedule that allows you to work independently and not be stuck in an office. As a Part-Time Field Interviewer, you will interact with others and approach selected households without a prior appointment. You must be able to commit to working weekday evenings and weekend hours (both Saturday and Sunday) without exception. On occasion, daytime work on weekdays may also be necessary.
If you’re interested in engaging people from diverse backgrounds and passionate about the health and well-being of your community, this may be the job for you. Qualified candidates MUST be able to work when respondents are available and be comfortable working a consistent, varied schedule to accommodate project needs.
Field Interviewers are responsible for:
- Making in-person contact with selected households to discuss the study, answer questions and obtain participation
- Collecting confidential information and administer a short roster and screening interview
- Recruiting respondents for a longer clinical interview
- Working a fluid schedule of approximately 12-15 hours a week, mostly evenings and weekends (both Saturday and Sunday), when work is available (the hourly requirement is productive time and does not include the time spent traveling to assignments)
- Independently managing administrative duties, including participating in conference calls
- Maintaining regular access to a reliable wireless internet connection in your home for data transmissions and required system updates to project equipment (installation and equipment costs, service fees, and related expenses to access an internet connection and computer are not reimbursable)
- Maintaining regular access to a computer with a camera and reliable internet connection for completion of training courses
- When working in the field, must be willing to agree to any COVID-19-related protocols put in place by RTI. These could include, among others, wearing face coverings or respiratory protection, gloves, taking temperatures daily, social distancing with survey respondents, and/or completing a health pledge. All safety supplies required for use on the project will be provided by RTI.
Minimum Required Qualifications:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Must be at least 21 years old at time of employment.
- Bilinguals preferred (English/Spanish) but otherwise must possess effective communication skills through speech and listening, and fluency in English through reading, writing, and speaking.
- Available for entire training and data collection period.
- Able to successfully complete training.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and reliable personal automobile available for business use.
- Must be willing to work evenings and weekends on a weekly and regular basis.
- If hired for the states NY, NC, and WA: Must be willing to collect data in jails, requiring additional background checks.
- Able to keep project information confidential.
Preferred Qualifications for Ideal Candidates:
- Positive, self-motivated, curious, and enjoy interacting with people from culturally-diverse backgrounds
- Effective time, schedule, and workload management skills to meet set deadlines
- Computer skills, namely email and internet proficiency
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred
Hourly wage will be determined based on the area in which work is being performed. The pay rate for Houston, TX is $20/hour.
Apply here to begin the conversation about this position. Interviews are ongoing, and the position will begin in May 2021 and conclude in December 2021.
RTI International is an independent, nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition. Clients rely on us to answer questions that demand an objective and multidisciplinary approach—one that integrates expertise across the social and laboratory sciences, engineering, and international development. We believe in the promise of science, and we are inspired every day to deliver on that promise for the good of people, communities, and businesses around the world. For more information, visit www.rti.org
Physical and mental demands of this role include those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job, as outlined above. Examples include: operating a computer, a phone, and other office machinery, driving to households; walking from car to household; thinking, learning, and concentrating effectively and frequently communicating with other people, both within RTI and outside of RTI; frequently moving about inside and travel between households; ability to handle the stress associated in meeting frequent, multiple and tight deadlines;, ability to work a varied schedule, including evening and weekend hours based on project needs; consistent demonstration of mental stability and ability to have regular, reliable and predictable attendance.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job, per RTI procedure 4.2.1.
For USA Job Postings Only: RTI participates in the US Government E-Verify program. Further information regarding the E-Verify program and laws that are designed to protect you against discrimination relating to your legal right to work in the US can be found at https://www.rti.org/jobs.
For San Francisco, CA USA Job Postings Only: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records. Further information is available here.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Further information is available here.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We are an independent nonprofit research institute dedicated to improving the human condition.