This job is no longer accepting applications.
Duties may include but are not limited to:
- Prepares substantially all bulk compounding in the pharmacy, packaging and labeling all products for which there are master formula cards.
- Selecting and measuring appropriate ingredients, mixing ingredients in a safe and effective manner, inspecting final product for accuracy, suitability, and pharmaceutical elegance.
- Provides finished product for dispensing by pharmacist.
- Properly maintains records related to compounding activities.
- Scans patient medication totes and determines kind, strength and dosage of drug to be dispensed.
- Sets up prescriptions by obtaining correct stock container, counting or pouring correct amount of medication and placing medication in smaller container or by selecting proper prepackaged drug and annotates the bulk bottle lot number and company name of the prescription label.
- Monitors working area inventory needs and restocks inventory and supplies as need daily.
- Maintains, verifies, replenishes and replaces outdated medications in OptiFill and other patient care area automated dispensing machines when assigned.
- Receives and processes incoming telephone inquiries from Veterans and their beneficiaries in a friendly and caring manner, directing any in-depth questions to a pharmacist.
- Maintains working knowledge of policy and procedures for refills, new prescriptions, partial refills, & non-formulary medications.
- Sets up and fills prescriptions with correct drug item, labeling them appropriately and adding auxiliary labels for pharmacist to check.
- Packs filled prescriptions for mailing to Veterans; Sorts printed suspense, and distributes to respective area: narcotics, prosthetics, compounding, refrigerated medications, and special requests.
- Retrieves and processes mail received in patient refill drop box several times during the day.
- Inspects assigned shelves monthly for outdated medications and provides report to supervisor.
- identifies potential opportunities to enhance patient care and/or operational functionality, and shares recommendations with assigned supervisor.
- Possesses ability to communicate, and demonstrate customer service and interpersonal skills with all healthcare professionals to ensure quality/continuity of care and ensure compliance with established policies and regulations.
- Provides the customer consistent information according to established policies and procedures; and handles conflict and problems relating to the customer in a constructive and appropriate manner
Work Schedule: Possible shifts include: Monday-Friday 8:00AM-4:30PM / 7:30AM-4:00PM / 9:00AM-5:30PM / 3:30PM-12:00AM / 10:00AM-6:30PM / 11:45AM-8:15PM, with rotating weekends and holidays.
Telework: Not Available.
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Functional Statement #: 580-00332-F
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized.
Permanent Change of Station (PCS): Not Authorized.
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required.
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job.
- All applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- You may be required to serve a probationary period.
- Subject to background/security investigation.
- Selected applicants will be required to complete an online onboarding process.
- Must pass pre-employment physical examination.
- Participation in the seasonal influenza vaccination program is a requirement for all Department of Veterans Affairs Health Care Personnel (HCP).
- Participation in the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) vaccination program is a requirement for all Veterans Health Administration Health Care Personnel (HCP) - See "Additional Information" below for details.
- United States Citizenship: Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education or Experience: A high school diploma or equivalent; or at least 3 months experience.
- English Language Proficiency: Pharmacy technicians appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English.
Grade Determinations, In addition to the basic requirements for employment, the following criteria must be met when determining the grade of candidates:
Pharmacy Technician, GS-6:
Experience: One year experience at the next lower level (GS5) which includes operating automated dispensing devices, ability to perform aseptic technique, knowledge of basic inventory procedures and pharmacy information systems.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Resume must include hours worked per week for work experience credit.
In addition, the candidate must demonstrate the following technical Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs) required for the GS-6 grade level:
1. Ability to solve problems and make recommendations, e.g., troubleshoot operational problems and refer for appropriate action.
2. Knowledge of the operation and care of automated equipment.
3. Knowledge of, and ability to follow, written instructions for compounding with aseptic technique for hazardous materials such as oncology agents.
4. Knowledge, and ability to perform, compounding with aseptic technique for routine sterile products.
5. Knowledge of policies and procedures for inventory management in specialized areas such as emergency carts.
6. Knowledge of the computerized prescription process demonstrated by the ability to input prescriptions and medication orders.
(IMPORTANT NOTE: KSAs must be clearly reflected in resume under description of duties in order to be found qualified for this grade level, please be specific in describing duties performed which demonstrate that you possess the KSAs listed above that are required for this position/grade level)
Certification: PTCB certification is required at the GS-06 grade level. (CURRENT Certification document MUST be provided at time of application).
References: VA Handbook 5005/15, Part II, Appendix G28.This vacancy is announced above the full performance level at the GS-6 level.
Physical Requirements: The work involves standing for prolonged periods of time, lifting or carrying of pharmaceutical supplies, including bending and stooping to include the transporting of mail collection container to mailroom. Moderate lifting may be required (up to 40 lbs.)
IMPORTANT: A transcript must be submitted with your application if you are basing all or part of your qualifications on education.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education. For further information, visit: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ous/international/usnei/us/edlite-visitus-forrecog.html.
Receiving Service Credit or Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. VA may offer newly-appointed Federal employee's credit for their job-related non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which they earn annual leave. Such credit must be requested and approved prior to the appointment date and is not guaranteed.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health-related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Pursuant to VHA Directive 1193.01, VHA health care personnel (HCP) are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to such accommodations as required by law (i.e., medical, religious or pregnancy). VHA HCPs do not include remote workers who only infrequently enter VHA locations. If selected, you will be required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and submit documentation of proof of vaccination before your start date. The agency will provide additional information regarding what information or documentation will be needed and how you can request a legally required accommodation from this requirement using the reasonable accommodation process.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE. Your application, résumé, C.V., and/or supporting documentation will be verified. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect consideration for employment.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
Veterans and Transitioning Service Members: Please visit the VA for Vets site for career-search tools for Veterans seeking employment at VA, career development services for our existing Veterans, and coaching and reintegration support for military service members.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- PTCB Certification (Current)
*RESUME REQUIREMENT: YOUR RESUME MUST INCLUDE ALL OF THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION FOR EACH POSITION LISTED: JOB TITLE, AVERAGE HOURS WORKED PER WEEK, DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES (BE AS DETAILED AS POSSIBLE IN DESCRIBING DUTIES PERFORMED) , BEGINNING AND ENDING DATES (MONTH/YEAR).
VA Form 10-2850c Application for Associated Health Occupations can be found at: https://www.va.gov/vaforms/medical/pdf/vha-10-2850c-fill.pdf.
The following documents are accepted, and may be required if applicable to your eligibility and/or qualifications for this position. Please use this checklist to ensure you have included all documents required for your application, such as a copy of your transcript (if using education to qualify), SF-50's (current/former Federal employees), etc.
- Cover Letter
- DD-214/ Statement of Service
- Disability Letter (VA)
- PTCB Certification (Current)
- VA Form 10-2850c Application for Associated Health Occupations
- SF-50/ Notification of Personnel Action
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference for 5pt (TP), 10pt (CP/CPS/XP), or for Sole Survivor Preference (SSP) in the questionnaire. You must provide a legible copy of your DD214(s) which shows dates and character of service (honorable, general, etc.). If you are currently serving on active duty and expect to be released or discharged within 120 days you must submit documentation related to your active duty service which reflects the dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), and dates of impending separation. Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veteran Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. Documentation is required to award preference. For more information on Veterans' Preference, please visit Feds Hire Vets - Veterans - Job Seekers - Veterans' Preference.If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
How to Apply
All applicants are encouraged to apply online. To apply for this position, you must complete the full questionnaire and submit the documentation specified in the Required Documents section below. The complete application package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 04/07/2022 to receive consideration. To preview the questionnaire click https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/11426819.
- To begin, click Apply Online to create a USAJOBS account or log in to your existing account. Follow the prompts to select your USA JOBS resume and/or other supporting documents and complete the occupational questionnaire.
- Click Submit My Answers to submit your application package.
NOTE: It is your responsibility to ensure your responses and appropriate documentation is submitted prior to the closing date.
To verify your application is complete, log into your USA JOBS account, https://my.usajobs.gov/Account/Login, select the Application Status link and then select the more information link for this position. The Details page will display the status of your application, the documentation received and processed, and any correspondence the agency has sent related to this application. Your uploaded documents may take several hours to clear the virus scan process. To return to an incomplete application, log into your USA JOBS account and click Update Application in the vacancy announcement. You must re-select your resume and/or other documents from your USA JOBS account or your application will be incomplete.
Agency contact information
Michael E DeBakey VA Medical Center
2002 Holcombe Boulevard
Houston, TX 77030
Your application has been successfully submitted.