Senior Public Health Educator - COVID EDU
This job is no longer accepting applications.
The Houston Health Department seeks dynamic candidates that will function as Senior Public Health Educators in the COVID Health Education Team. Preference for applicants that are bi-lingual in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese (Mandarin), Urdu, Arabic, and/ or French based on the community needs. The selected candidate will perform the following duties along with other duties as assigned:
- Develop and conduct health education, training, workshops, and health promotion programming including providing COVID-19 prevention, health literacy & empowerment, recovery, and resiliency information to communities.
- Apply appropriate behavioral theories and evidence-based models to plan, organize, implement, and evaluate community engagement, health education and health promotion programming in community-based settings to improve COVID knowledge, attitude, and behaviors in at-risk communities.
- Establish and maintain close working relationships with internal staff, community-based and private sector organizations to coordinate and perform culturally and linguistically appropriate health promotion activities.
- Develop and interpret culturally and linguistically appropriate content for educational and training materials, visual aids, presentations, interactive demonstrations, virtual group classes and social media settings. Content includes but is not limited to COVID-19 vaccines, COVID-19 prevention, flu prevention, immunizations, management of underlying chronic disease conditions, pandemic preparedness.
- Perform data entry, data collection and data management activities, preparing reports and participating in qualitative research, quality assurance and quality improvement activities.
- Utilize various inter-disciplinary, communication and marketing techniques to promote and disseminate actionable health and wellness information and advocate for health equity.
- Perform other duties and special projects as requested.
Division/ Section: Human Services/Office of Chronic Disease, Health Education and Wellness -COVID EDU
Reporting Location: 3315 Delano St. Houston, TX 77004
Workdays & Hours: Mon – Sat 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.* (Flexibility on community needs)
*Subject to change
The position occasionally requires stooping or bending. Occasional very light lifting, such as three or four reams of papers or books (up to 20 pounds or an equivalent weight) may be required. There are no major sources of discomfort, i.e., essentially normal office environment with acceptable lighting, temperature and air conditions.
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Education, Behavioral Science, or a closely related field such as Public Health.
Two (2) years of experience in Public Health, Education or a closely related field are required.
A Master's degree in Education, Behavioral Science, or closely related field such as Public Health may be substituted for the above requirements.
Directly related professional experience may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6
- Preference for applicants that are bi-lingual in English, Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese (Mandarin), Urdu, Arabic, and/ or French based on the community needs
- Experience using Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint or Adobe Suite in generating flyers, materials, correspondence, reports, presentations
- Current Certified Health Education Specialists (CHES), and Community Health Worker (CHW) candidates strongly preferred
- Directly related professional experience in Community Outreach, Health Education, Social Work preferred
- Experience developing and delivering trainings and mediating workshops preferred
SELECTION/SKILLS TEST REQUIREMENTS
None. However, the department may administer a skill assessment evaluation during application review and/or interview.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION YES
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Pay Grade 18
SALARY INFORMATION GRANT FUND
Grants & Special funded positions are dependent upon continued available funds. If funding is no longer available, employee may be laid off or transferred. Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov.
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call (832.393.4632).
If you need special services or accommodations, call 832.393.4632. (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We protect the "H".