Certified Coding Specialist - Neurology
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Reviews, determines accuracy of and applies the correct coding conventions to patient charge encounters, procedural and surgical services, as defined through physician documentation, regulatory agencies and various third-party payers. Provides departmental specialty-specific education related to physician coding/compliance, non-physician practitioner coding/compliance and appropriate coding conventions for individual physicians, residents and to collective groups within the department.
Position Key Accountabilities:
- Assists with training of staff while performing routine correct coding applications utilizing ICD-9-CM, CPT-4, and HCPCS codes required for the patient charge encounters when reviewing physician generated codes, ensuring compliance with regulatory agencies, correct coding initiatives and regulatory guidelines for clinical documentation.
- Identifies and reports correct code selection from physician documentation, to include, but not be limited to; chart notes, abstracting from medical records documentation, medical diagnostic and/or interventional reports, ensuring compliant coding selections are reported within assigned department.
- Reviews and reports all denials related to coding, by report, assigning and indicating reason codes for coding denials.
- Assists in the delivery of appropriate specialty specific coding education for providers within their respective departments, including, but not limited to teaching physician guidelines for documentation, as requested.
- Identifies provider specific educational needs relative to professional coding and documentation.
- Meets with providers/residents to provide focused educational reviews to enhance compliance, as directed by supervisor.
- Attends and participates in all coding related educational activities, as directed by the Department of Billing and Compliance Coordination and disseminates applicable information to departmental physicians/residents, and staff within the department.
- Act as a resource in the clinic setting for providers, practitioners, for queries related to coding convention and compliance questions.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Certified Professional Coder (CPC) by the American Academy of Professional Coders or
- Certified Coding Specialist-Physician (CCS-P) by the American Health Information Management Association or
- Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA)/ Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT) by the American Health Information Management Association.
- Must complete certification within 12 months of employment at UTHSC-H. Monitoring of certification is department’s responsibility.
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Four years of related experience.
- May substitute required experience with equivalent years of education beyond the minimum education requirement.
Physical Requirements for this position: Exerts up to 20 pounds of force occasionally and/or up to 10 pounds frequently and/or a negligible amount constantly to move objects. This job class may contain positions that are security sensitive and thereby subject to the provisions of Texas Education Code § 51.215
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Houston’s health university since 1972.