Family OB Medical Assistant Needed in Southwest Houston TX!
This job is no longer accepting applications.
The Medical Assistant is a multi-skilled health professional (MSHP) who works interdependently with other health care professionals to provide quality health care to the patient. The Medical Assistant is educated and trained to perform both administrative and clinical skills in the medical care environment. The Medical Assistant is directly responsible to the physician-employer who hires him/her or any other physician-appointed supervisor in the facility. Medical Assisting is a distinct, unique allied health discipline separate from all other allied health professions governed by the Curriculum Review Board (CRB) and Committee on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) of AMA and AAMA.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Front desk reception.
- Answering phones and scheduling appointments.
- Greet patients, completion of registration forms, and gives instructions.
- Filing and maintaining medical records.
- Filing and maintaining financial records.
- Preparing and typing correspondence.
- Processing, coding, and completing insurance claim forms.
- Processing mail.
- Purchasing and maintaining supplies and equipment.
- Performing computer skills in patient billing, transcription, scheduling, insurance claims, accounts receivable, and data base entry.
- Performing accounting, billing, and banking procedures.
- Arranging for hospital admissions and outside referrals for the physician.
- Calling prescriptions to the pharmacy for the physician.
- Communication skills using appropriate medical terminology.
- Following appropriate legal and ethical professional conduct.
- Measuring and recording vital signs.
- Recording patient interview, history and chief complaint.
- Providing patient education with regards to office policies, medications, management of diseases, home treatments and special diets.
- Preparing patients for examinations and performing routine screening tests.
- Assisting the physician with exams and minor office surgery.
- Preparing the lab form, phlebotomy and collection of other lab specimens.
- Performing basic lab tests.
- Performing EKGs.
- Assisting with X-ray and Physical Therapy procedures.
- Preparing and administering medications with physician’s authorizations.
- Change dressings, applying bandages, and other first aid procedures.
- Maintaining supplies, equipment, stocking, and sterilizing instruments.
- Disposing of biohazard waste according to OSHA standards.
- Practicing OSHA safety standards.
- Performing accurate, legal, and ethical documentation at all times.
- Performs quality management/assurance activities.
- Administrating Intramuscular injections for vaccinations, antibiotics, anti contraceptive, hormonal, or other medications under the order of the provider with proper documentation in the patient’s medical records.
- Sorting and faxing prescription refills from pharmacy once approved by the provider.
- Arrange and assist patients with proper referrals with verification of process with the patient’s insurance company including medical consultations, radiology orders, and laboratory orders.
- Prepare and assist in release and acquisition of patient medical records after proper consent if received.
- Scanning of medically necessary records/consults into the patient’s Electronic Health Record for access and retrieval by providers and other staff in a timely manner.
- Checking phone messages in a timely manner and returning calls to the patient or routing calls/messages to the responsible party.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience, Licensure/Certification and Skills/Abilities Related Requirements:
High School Diploma or equivalent. Bilingual in English and Spanish preferred. Medical Assistant Certification required.
Continuing Education and Training Requirements:
Participates in training required by the funding source and/or required by licensing board.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
No matter what path you are on, we're here to support you on your #healthcare journey.