This job is no longer accepting applications.
- Prevention Specialist will provide direct service client contact in street outreach. Screen potential clients for need for substance use disorder treatment services, HIV/HCV testing and services, and other social services.
- Distribute information, condoms, and bleach kits. Discuss HIV and HCV risk reduction strategies at targeted locations such as, street corners, high drug traffic areas, and “hot spots” frequented by substance users. Develop a rapport with contacts through repeated encounters. Develop gate keeper in neighborhoods that can lead to other contacts.
- Educate potential clients about accessing substance use disorder treatment, HIV services, HIV/STD/TB/HCV testing; HIV/HCV prevention and transmission; and safer needle use.
- Conduct HIV/HCV rapid testing.
- High school diploma or GED.
- One (1) year experience working with people with substance use disorder and/or HIV/AIDS of which an internship or field placement may be considered.
- Knowledge of community resources; special treatment issues relating to the injection drug use, substance use disorder, HIV, HCV, and community support programs.
- Ability to mentally and physically cope with stresses caused by regular exposure to the effects of clients’ behavioral health issues and respond appropriately to client crises and seek help in coping when needed through supervision, case consultation or counseling when needed.
- Experience with HIV/HCV testing preferred.
- Bilingual preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
It is the policy of the Montrose Center to recruit, hire, train, compensate and promote staff members on the basis of merit and without discrimination on the basis of age, sex, race, national origin, disability, religious preference, marital status, parental status, pregnancy, political affiliation or belief, sexual orientation or gender identity or expression.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Empowering the #LGBTQHou community to enjoy healthier and more fulfilling lives 🌈 Offering education, resources, services & support since 1978.