Accounts Payable Associate
This job is no longer accepting applications.
At Houston Methodist, the Accounts Payable (AP) Associate) position is responsible for the daily administration of specialty processes within the Accounts Payable (AP) Department. Under the direction of department management, this position performs AP payment cycles, checks preparation and disbursement including payment and supplier statement reconciliation, specialty payments processing, quality review and auditing and scanning invoices for data conversion. Also responsible for independently performing high level clerical tasks. Utilizes critical thinking, analytical, and decision-making skills to proactively and independently perform assigned tasks within deadlines, including responding to department email box and phone line, department mail collection and distribution and monitoring specialized AP department equipment. Serves as backup to AP team members as needed. Trains new hires and cross training of team members.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Contributes to teamwork by consistently offering assistance and responding in a positive, timely manner to requests for assistance. (EF)
- Responds to inquiries through a variety of channels (voicemail, email, telephone) and appropriately directs as needed. (EF)
- Communicates in an active, positive, effective manner with all team members, staff and management and internal and external customers. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
- Accurately performs payment cycles. Performs timely check preparation and disbursement according to department processes. Facilitates special handling requests and instructions. (EF)
- Reconciles supplier statements as assigned. (EF)
- Proactively monitors check related supplies and equipment to ensure replenishment, repairs and maintenance are performed in advanced of issues arising. (EF)
- Performs system functions and transactions including research, payment cancellation, voucher modification and/or deletion. Supports internal and external audit requests as assigned. Verifies transactions for accuracy, compliance, validity and completeness (EF)
- Supports business continuity of department by cross training others and being cross trained in order to meet department needs. Serves as backup or supplemental resource as assigned. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Ensures accuracy and completeness of data input, processes and procedures. (EF)
- Stays up-to-date on and consistently adheres to department procedures and processes. Alerts management of anticipated or potential issues and problems. (EF)
- Keeps management informed on work status and issues. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Utilizes resources effectively and efficiently, demonstrating responsible financial stewardship and manages own time effectively and prioritizes work to achieve maximum results in a timely manner. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Seeks opportunities to identify self-development needs and takes appropriate actions. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate managements. Completes and update the My Development Plan (MDP) on an ongoing basis. (EF)
- Stays up to date on department policies and procedures. Makes recommendations and submits innovative ideas for improvement to department leadership. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
o Associates Degree preferred
o Three years accounts payable experience
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Relevant Accounts payable certification preferred (Accounts Payable Specialist (APS) or Certified Accounts Payables Professional (CAPP)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Demonstrated customer service and team work skills
o Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Word and accounts payable systems
o Ability to work effectively in a fast pasted rapidly changing environment
o Exceptional attention to detail
o Strong analytical skills
o Working knowledge of procure to pay process and full cycle AP
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
On-Call* Yes, as required by entity/department for operational need
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Houston Methodist (HM) is one of the nation’s leading health systems and academic medical centers. HM consists of eight hospitals: Houston Methodist Hospital, its flagship academic hospital in the heart of the Texas Medical Center and seven community hospitals throughout the greater Houston metropolitan area. HM also includes an academic institute, a comprehensive residency program, a global business division, numerous physician practices and several free-standing emergency rooms and outpatient facilities. Overall, HM employs over 25,000 employees. Houston Methodist is supported by a wide variety of business functions that operate at the system level to help enable clinical departments to provide the best patient care and service in a spiritual environment.
In 2019 Houston Methodist and its physicians treated more than 6,333 international patients from more than 76 countries. Houston Methodist Global Health Care Services’ consulting and education divisions also provide advisory services and training and development to health care organizations around the world.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PRACTICING MEDICINE AND LEADING IT.