Disease Intervention Specialist
This job is no longer accepting applications.
The right candidate will be responsible for safeguarding the citizens of Galveston, Brazoria and Chambers from sexually transmitted diseases (including AIDS) by providing prevention counseling, condom distribution and HIV/Syphilis testing to at-risk populations.
We can offer you:
• Excellent benefits; including an Amazing Retirement Package, Affordable Medical Insurance, Paid Time Off plans, Free Life Insurance, FREE Long-Term Disability, FREE parking and much, much more!
• Team-oriented environment
• Hourly Rate: $23.25
• Two Positions Available
**THIS IS A FULL TIME, TEMPORARY POSITION THAT ENDS August 31, 2024**
We want you to join our team of professionals and begin a long-term career with us! If you meet the criteria listed below, please apply.
- Bachelor or Associate degree from an accredited college or university or may be substituted with 3 years’ job-related experience in a medical clinic setting
- Current Certificate of completion of Foundations of Counseling and Testing Course from DSHS, preferred
- At least 6 months of experience in STD related field required
- Successful completion of the ISTDI STD course within six (6) months from date of employment and Foundations of Counseling and Testing Course
- Venipuncture training within six-months of employment
- Knowledge of sexually transmitted diseases and HIV/AIDS infection
- Must be able to communicate at different levels with infected individuals and maintain confidential information
- Bilingual in Spanish helpful
- Ability for spur of the moment transportation without relying on organization vehicles
- Must possess or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Texas for the type of vehicle or equipment operated
- Department of Motor Vehicle check may be required, if applicable
- Customer Service Oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent Computer Skills MS Office
- Must be willing and able to work evening and weekend hours if necessary
- Must be in compliance with GCHD Immunizations policy
- Must be in compliance with ICS training requirements
- Must pass criminal background check and drug/alcohol screening
An equivalent combination of education and work experience which appropriately demonstrates the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the above described essential functions will be considered when hiring for this role.
- Performs office, clinic and fieldwork for sexually transmitted diseases, needle sharing and partner notification
- Inputs case data into the STDMIS40 or THISIS application
- Provides Syphilis / HIV case management according to Department of State Health Services DIS guidelines
- Maintains DIS Standards according to DSHS
- Performs venipuncture in the field, private homes or office locations
- Assures that Patients intake and consent forms are signed and filed
- Documents HIV/STD records in a timely manner into STD-MIS computer system
- Provides on-going case management until all sex/needle sharing partners are dispositioned according to DSHS
- Maintains frequent contact with patients, clients, physicians, nurses and professional organizations
- Starts investigations within one working day of receiving assignment
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor
Applications can be submitted by fax to (409) 938-2284, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or in person at 9850-A, Suite A-111, Emmett F. Lowry Expressway, Texas City, TX 77591.
No Phone Calls Please
Our Mission: Protecting and Promoting the Optimal Health and Well-Being of Galveston County
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The Galveston County Health District operates a variety of public health services and two FQHC clinics.