Breastfeeding Peer Counselor
Galveston County Health District is seeking a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor!
The right candidate will be responsible for counseling pregnant and breastfeeding women one-to-one.
We can offer you:
• Excellent benefits; including an Amazing Retirement Package, Affordable Medical Insurance, Paid Time Off plans, Free Life Insurance, FREE Long-Term Disability, FREE parking and much, much more!
• Team-oriented environment
• Hourly Rate: $14.70
• Location: Texas City
We want you to join our team of professionals and begin a long-term career with us! If you meet the criteria listed below, please apply.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or equivalent
- Receiving current or previous WIC services and successfully breastfeeding at least one child (present or previously)
- Bilingual in Spanish preferred
- Excellent presentation skills to teach breastfeeding classes and/or training background and/or experience and understanding of adult learning principles
- Must be receiving or have received WIC services, successfully breastfed at least one baby, (does not have to be currently nursing) and possess high enthusiasm about educating mothers about breastfeeding
- Ability to work outside of regular clinic hours and outside of the WIC clinic
- Ability for spur of the moment transportation without relying on organization vehicles
- Must possess or ability to readily obtain a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Texas for the type of vehicle or equipment operated
- Department of Motor Vehicle check may be required, if applicable
- Customer Service Oriented
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent Computer Skills MS Office
- Must be willing and able to work evening and weekend hours if necessary
- Must be in compliance with GCHD Immunizations policy
- Must be in compliance with ICS training requirements
- Must pass criminal background check and drug/alcohol screening
An equivalent combination of education and work experience which appropriately demonstrates the knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the above described essential functions will be considered when hiring for this role.
- Counsels pregnant and breastfeeding mothers on one-to-one basis at WIC sites, in the hospital or over the phone enabling new mothers to avoid common breastfeeding problems and follows up
- Provides information promoting breastfeeding, which addresses specific concerns of expectant and breastfeeding mothers and corrects misinformation
- Weigh and measure infant/child as deemed necessary for complete breastfeeding assessment
- Identifies breastfeeding experiences that are not the norm and makes an immediate, appropriate referral
- Assists in training of new Peer Counselors
- Trains staff in pump issuance, retrieval, and maintenance
- Assesses need for breast pumps and breastfeeding aids and issues in accordance with State and Local agency policies and procedures.
- Maintains and submits reports of breast pumps, breastfeeding aids counseling time and contacts
- Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor
To apply please visit www.gchd.org/jobs and fill out our online application. Applications can be submitted by fax to (409) 938-2284, emailed to email@example.com or in person at 9850-A, Suite A-111, Emmett F. Lowry Expressway, Texas City, TX 77591.
No Phone Calls Please
Our Mission: Protecting and Promoting the Optimal Health and Well-Being of Galveston County
Your application has been successfully submitted.
The Galveston County Health District operates a variety of public health services and two FQHC clinics.