Health Case Manager
To coordinate medical and/or mental health services and provide case management to individuals with refugee and asylum status who have significant physical and/or mental health conditions. The Refugee Health Case Manager will be part of a specialized team within Refugee Services that focuses on health for refugees. The position will work to promote self-sufficiency and goal attainment for clients, through connections to ongoing programming and mainstream supports, in compliance with Refugee Services programs and contract guidelines.
- Provide direct service and health care coordination to newly arrived refugees, in homes, clinics, social service offices, and community health settings.
- Conduct intake and assessments to determine client eligibility for the program(s).
- Develop care plans with program participants, empowering them to reach client-centered goals and meet program guidelines.
- Encourage early self-sufficiency and independence of all program participants.
- Work closely with Refugee Services Programs colleagues to ensure that refugees are integrated into the broader array of services available in the organization.
- Promote Preferred Communities and Refugee Services Programs, provide advocacy regarding refugee health issues, and cultivate relationships for potential referrals with community partners, refugee community members, and other eligible individuals.
- Provide ongoing cultural orientation to program participants.
- Document all contacts and services in case files and complete assessments and outcome tracking within the computer and online databases.
- Assist in emergencies as they arise.
- Transport clients to and from appointments as necessary.
- Coordinate services with various community public health partners at the state, county, and local levels, as well as across programs.
- Serve as an advocate to increase awareness of refugee health issues within Refugees and the community.
- Maintain awareness of evidence-based best practices within the field of refugee health and provide staff with relevant information as it is learned.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work, Public Health, or related area of study required.
- MSW or LSW is strongly preferred.
- At least 3 years prior professional experience working directly with refugees or recent immigrants, and experience working collaboratively with community service providers.
- Knowledge of local refugee and immigrant populations, the resources available to them, and the state and federal policies that impact them.
- Commitment to early self-sufficiency of refugees and ability to teach skills to clients.
- Demonstrated ability to maintain detailed documentation in a timely manner.
- Strong English language communication skills, both oral and written.
- Proven ability to work in crisis situations.
- Proven capacity to work in a fast-paced social service environment, both independently and as a member of a team.
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook preferred.
- Proven ability to use basic office equipment including copiers, postage machines, and fax machines Driver’s license and access to reliable transportation required.
- Extensive cross-cultural experience required. Familiarity with refugee and asylee populations and health issues related to resettlement, trauma, and/or torture is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated strong cross-cultural communication, negotiation, and mediation skills.
- Ability to effectively bring key players to the table and to facilitate communication and concrete action around a common goal.
- Knowledge of the U.S. refugee resettlement process and U.S. medical systems is strongly desired.
- Bilingual applicants preferred, with emphasis on Arabic, Spanish, Kiswahili, Lingala, Kinyarwanda, Kirundi.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
IM for Greater Houston connects people for dialogue, collaboration and service. Meals on Wheels, Refugees Services, Interfaith Relations, Volunteer Ho...