Manager of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
This job is no longer accepting applications.
At Houston Methodist, the Manager Diversity, Equity, Inclusion (DEI) position is responsible for managing the daily execution to drive DEI initiatives throughout Houston Methodist (HM) community hospitals. This position works collaboratively with key community hospital stakeholders to provide guidance and support in executing the DEI initiatives at each community hospital. This position will manage and oversee all training activities, review key dashboard metrics and make recommendations on findings to hospital leadership. Oversees the coordination of employee resource groups to ensure alignment to overall strategy and goals.
The manager position responsibilities include managing the daily work activities of the work unit/department staff, ensuring quality, productivity, functional excellence and efficiency while assisting management in accomplishing strategic and operational objectives. In addition, this position provides guidance to staff and is responsible for staffing, budget compliance, contributing to staffing decisions such as hiring and terminating employment, coaching and counseling employees on work related performance, and assisting in the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure a safe and effective work environment. This position also implements training, monitoring and operations initiatives that secure compliance with ethical and legal business practices and accreditation/regulatory/ government regulations.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 30%
1. Performs management responsibilities of selection, scheduling, supervision, retention, and evaluation of employees in the department. Provides development and mentoring of staff. Meets or exceeds threshold goal for department turnover. Develops direct reports to perform these same functions. (EF)
2. Provides fair and consistent leadership and communication to maintain a competent and engaged employee group by conducting regular department meetings to review policies and procedures and operational matters, rounding on all employees, completing performance appraisals, conducting new hire feedback sessions, coaching/corrective counseling, and providing recognition/commendations to achieve desired outcomes. Provides timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem. (EF)
3. Facilitates and promotes effective team dynamics and teambuilding strategies within and between departments; participates and/or leads and facilitates department process improvements as needed. (EF)
4. Meets or exceeds threshold goal for department and/or system metrics on employee engagement indicators. (EF)
5. Partners and leads DEI groups at each entity to identify annual goals and objectives to ensure quantifiable measured success. (EF)
6. Partners with entity leadership to understand the DEI dashboard and identify and close possible gaps. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
1. Plans and organizes day-to-day department operations, schedule and activities. Sets priorities and functional standards, giving direction to staff as necessary to ensure the best possible delivery of service and high customer/patient satisfaction. (EF)
2. Drives department service standards and activities to impact department and/or system score for patient/customer-based satisfaction, through role modeling and fostering accountability. Serves and actively participates on various entity committees as a voice for the department. (EF)
3. Creates and manages partnerships in educational opportunities to enhance employee and community education on DEI related topics. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 10%
1. Ensures a safe and effective working environment; monitors and/or revises the department safety plan and/or any specific accreditation/regulatory required safety guidelines, including infection control principles. Monitors and confirms staff maintain their required credentials that demonstrate competency per accrediting agency or department guidelines as applicable. (EF)
2. Uses and optimizes information systems to enhance operations; supports entity-specific performance improvement and data management/analysis functions. (EF)
3. Employs a proactive approach in the optimization of safe outcomes by monitoring and improving the department workflow, using peer-to-peer accountability, reporting accidents, near misses, and/or adverse events immediately per department protocol and identifying solutions via collaboration. Adopts lean principles in driving process improvements. Role models situational awareness, using teachable moments to improve safety. (EF)
4. Monitors self and employee compliance with policies, procedures, and System HR Standards of Practice and performs associated actions upon non-compliance (i.e., focal point review requirements, disaster plan, inservices, influenza immunization, wage and hour, standard hours, timely termination submission, timely timecard approval, etc.). (EF)
5. Continuously evaluates community hospital DEI programs to ensure alignment with systemwide goals. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
1. Assists in the development of department budget and ensures that the department operates in a cost effective manner. Manages/audits department expenses within approved budget parameters, ensuring that the department meets the budgeted/flex revenue and/or expense targets on a monthly and annual basis. Develops staffing plans and schedules to meet department/patient needs that reflect understanding of the importance of cost-effectiveness. (EF)
2. Implements department strategies to achieve financial target and staffing needs, developing others to do the same, through optimizing productivity, supply/resource efficiency, minimizing incidental overtime and overtime percentage, and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
3. Provides quarterly reporting on DEI efforts and initiatives in the community. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
1. Identifies and implements innovative solutions for practice or workflow changes to improve department operations or other department-specific measures by leading unit projects and/or other department/system directed/shared governance activities. Supports change initiatives, maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusts effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements or cultures. (EF)
2. Proactively evaluates processes; recommends and implements action plan(s) for change; follows through to ensure effective, sustainable change. Participates in the development and implementation of new procedures and the review and revision of existing procedures. (EF)
3. Identifies opportunities and takes action to build strategic relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, and units to achieve business goals. (EF)
4. Seeks opportunities to identify developmental needs of self and staff and takes appropriate action. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Completes and updates My Development Plan (MDP) on an on-going basis. Conducts conversations with staff on their development. (EF)
5. Collaborates with community hospital leaders to ensure programs and practices are in alignment with overall systemwide goals. (EF)
6. Stays up-to-date on industry trends, best practices and healthcare policy and shares information with key stakeholders. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Bachelor’s degree required
o Master’s degree preferred
o Six years of progressively responsible experience within applicable field (i.e healthcare, project/program management, etc.) to include two years related to DEI.
o May consider HM employee with five years of progressively responsible experience within applicable field (i.e. healthcare, project/program management, DEI, etc.)
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o DEI Certification preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate through a variety of channels with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles; engages the recipient(s) and helps them understand and retain the message
o Demonstrates the ability to interact with others in a way that gives them confidence in one’s intentions and those of the organization
o Ability to use appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas or plans; modifying one’s own behavior to accommodate tasks, situations and individuals involved
o Demonstrates leadership qualities and critical thinking through self-direction initiative and effective interpersonal skills and oral/written communication skills
o Ability to identify and understand issues, problems and opportunities, comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints and probable consequences
o Ability to work effectively in a fast paced environment
o Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in the workplace
o Capable of leading teams/facilitating groups, building consensus and garnering highest confidence in professionalism and work product by senior leadership
o Ability to work under pressure and balance many competing priorities; highly responsive and solution/action oriented
o Proficiency in spreadsheet, word processing and presentation software
o Maintains a positive and supportive attitude and demeanor
o Professional handling of exposure to confidential/sensitive information
Houston Methodist is comprised of a nationally recognized academic medical center and seven community hospitals with a history of health care innovation. We have consistently been recognized by several national organizations as one of the nation's best places to work.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PRACTICING MEDICINE AND LEADING IT.