Director of Housing Choice Voucher Program Initiatives
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Responsible for the day-to-day operations of grant funded tenant based supportive housing programs (HOME Tenant Based Rental Assistance TBRA, Rapid Rehousing special allocation vouchers (i.e. VASH, Family Unification Program, Tenant Protection Vouchers, Mainstream, and Family Self Sufficiency Program), Project Based Vouchers and implementation of the repositioning of the RAD portfolio. The Director of the Housing Choice Voucher Program Initiatives will have significant responsibility related to the performance of the department, integration of special purpose vouchers with overall HCV operations, requiring knowledge of and compliance with applicable HUD rules. Reports to the Vice President of Housing Programs.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Formulate and implement operating policies, procedures, objectives and budgets; ensures operational compliance with relevant regulations and standards.
- In conjunction with the Vice President of Housing Programs, he/she assists in preparing the Housing Choice Voucher Program Management Assessment Program Certification Report.
- Maintain HUD’s Public and Indian Housing Information System; ensures data accuracy.
- Understands and tracks Key Performance Indicators relevant for each specific grant/funding source. Implement and maintain a relevant quality control system specific for the grant.
- Research, gather data and prepare reports to relevant congressional, federal, state and local inquiries and communications relating to the Housing Choice Voucher Program and its participants.
- Prepare and respond to internal, HUD or HUD OIG audit reviews as required.
- Perform ongoing Housing Assistance Payment budget analysis; monitors billing and payments; tracks expenditures and utilization rates; monitors budget expenditures.
- Ensure that utilization and leasing schedules are met.
- Tracks and assists in the submittal of NOFAs for relevant grants, i.e. FSS, Mainstream, FUP.
- Ensure that all department employees receive proper training and instruction; monitor employees to ensure compliance with policies.
- Develop and modify payment standards for the program.
- Analyze rental market areas and rent burdens.
- Develop, review and monitor utility allowance schedules.
- Review and monitor program effectiveness.
- Implement and maintain a secure records management system.
- Conduct regular employee meetings; develops employee work schedules and caseload assignments; prepares performance evaluations; interviews and hires employees.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Knowledge of HUD policies and other federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations related to low income housing and the Houston Housing Authority policies.
- Experience and knowledge of submitting NOFA and grant applications.
- Knowledge and experience of RAD conversions and relocation procedures.
- Knowledge of good public policy practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of the management skills required to analyze programs, policies and operational needs.
- Knowledge of budget development and administration procedures.
- Knowledge of spoken and written Spanish preferred but not required.
- Comprehensive and demonstrable knowledge of HUD Housing Choice Voucher and HQS inspection policies and procedures.
- Business English and basic mathematics.
- Familiarity with industry best practices.
- Ability to communicate with and relate to persons of diverse backgrounds and abilities and to establish and maintain effective working relationships with participants, landlords and the public.
- Ability to supervise others effectively and collaboratively, reinforcing good performance and dealing firmly but fairly with less than satisfactory performance.
- Ability to meet both internal and SEMAP program deadlines.
- Skilled in planning, prioritizing, organizing, directing and coordinating the work of self and employees.
- Skilled in the analysis of problems and the development and implementation of solutions.
- Skilled in interpreting and applying federal, state, and local policies, laws and regulations.
- Skilled in the preparation of clear and precise reports.
- Skilled in oral, written, and interpersonal communication. Extensive public speaking will be required.
COMPLEXITY / SCOPE OF WORK
- Employee performs multifaceted work requiring a deep understanding of HUD rules and requirements relative to the Housing Choice Voucher Program eligibility, income, rent, inspections and contract procedures.
- Employee must be able to handle complex interpersonal situations involving conflict between tenants and landlords with skill and professionalism.
- Employee works with the Vice President of Housing Programs, Supervisors and occasionally Housing Choice Voucher and Public Housing Program applicants, participants, landlords and other employees.
- Employee’s work is essential to the successful operation of the Housing Choice Voucher Program.
- Employee’s efforts affect the Houston Housing Authority’s ability to earn administrative fees and to obtain additional vouchers and funding.
- Work is performed according to existing procedures or written guidelines such as HUD regulations, handbooks, desk references, or existing records.
- Employee will frequently be required to use independent judgment in making recommendations and decisions.
- Employee has significant responsibility for updating procedures and guidelines to ensure that they are effective, efficient and comply with HUD requirements.
- Reports to the Vice President of Housing Programs.
- As directed by the Vice President of Housing Programs, this employee is responsible for both the compliance and performance of a group of professional Housing Choice Voucher employees, as well as, the program outcomes they produce.
- Receives both written and oral instructions.
- Employee must be able to work independently, performing complex work in an accurate and timely manner without close supervision.
- The position entails balancing competing priorities and achieving organizational goals.
- Employee has continual contact with other employees and occasionally, program participants and landlords.
- Most contacts are structured in nature and the employee is expected to use normal tact and professional courtesy.
- Occasionally, a contact may be uncooperative or antagonistic and the employee would be expected to use above-average tact and courtesy. Failure to respond courteously could adversely affect the public’s opinion of the program and the Houston Housing Authority.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Employee’s work involves primarily sedentary office work in a typical office environment.
- There is some degree of stress resulting from contact with applicants, participants, landlords, the public and other employees.
- Work involves the normal risks or discomforts associated with an office environment.
- Work hours may vary from the normal core hours of the agency and on occasion may involve weekend work.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, Urban Affairs, Urban Planning, City Planning, Accounting, Sociology, Political Science, Psychology or a related field required.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of management experience in public housing, Housing Choice Voucher Program, tax credit housing, assisted apartment management, or local government housing work (e.g. code enforcement, planning, community development).
- Certification in Income, Rent and Voucher program administration required within first year of employment (training and tests at Houston Housing Authority’s expense).
- Certification in HQS required within first year of employment (training and tests at Houston Housing Authority’s expense).
- Valid Texas driver’s license or obtain such within the first thirty (30) days of employment.
- Eligibility for coverage under Houston Housing Authority fleet auto insurance.
- Job Title:
- Director of Housing Choice Voucher Program Initiatives
- 2640 FOUNTAIN VIEW DR
- STE 400
- Houston, TX, 77057
- United States
- Employee Type:
- Required Degree:
- 4 Year Degree
- Manage Others:
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Houston Housing Authority provides affordable homes and services to more than 58,000 low-income Houstonians.