Youth Service Specialist ( Aftercare Case Manager)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Under the supervision of the Manager of Houston Alumni and Youth (HAY) Center Programs and Contracts, this position provides follow-up services to former foster youth aged 18-21.
These follow-up services include:
- Ongoing intensive case management to assist the youth with developing and meeting their transitional goals.
- Provides intensive case management to address current and former foster youths transitional needs by engaging in program intakes, case planning, self sufficiency assessments, wraparound meetings, and face-to-face contact with clients on a consistent basis (minimum of quarterly basis).
- Submits requests for payment for youth who qualify for financial assistance to include rental assistance, utility payments, food cards, bus cards, and checks/reimbursements for other approved expenses.
- Submits internal and external referrals to assist youth in acquiring additional transitional services (housing, mental health, physical health, education, employment, transition coaching (mentorship) etc.).
- Completes weekly and monthly case management reports as required by the PAL contract and submits to direct supervisor within a required time frame.
- Enters all required documentation in agency database within a required time frame.
- Participates in HAY (Houston Alumni & Youth) Center events and Preparation for Adult Living (PAL) statewide and regional activities as required. Assist with in-care services (Casey Life Skills assessment, Life Skills Training) as needed.
- Maintains adequate case and financial records.
Harris County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
If you need special services or accommodations, please call (713) 274-5445 or email ADACoordinator@bmd.hctx.net
- Bachelor's degree in Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, Criminal Justice or closely related field.
- One (1) year full time paid case management (including case documentation) experience working in an educational, institutional, counseling, or social service setting working with youth who have challenging life circumstances.
- Training and experience using a personal computer with a variety of software such as Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Case Management Software.
- Reliable transportation with a valid driver’s license and auto liability insurance.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge and understanding of adolescent/transition age youth stages of development
- Knowledge of behavioral assessment administration/interpretation tools
- Knowledge of the transitional needs including life skills and linkages for youth aging out of the foster care system.
- Follows written and oral instructions
- Possesses excellent organizational skills
- Must be detailed oriented and self-motivated
- Must interact with all levels of staff
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills
- Problem solve and demonstrate critical thinking skills
- Works with limited supervision and independently in a fast-paced environment
- Maintains confidentiality
- Interacts and maintains professional working relationships with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds
- Exercises flexibility, tact, and diplomacy
- Have good public relations
- Ability to become CPR certified
NOTE: Qualifying education, experience, knowledge and skills must be documented on your job application. You may attach a resume to the application as supporting documentation but ONLY information stated on the application will be used for consideration. "See Resume" will not be accepted for qualifications.
- Master's Degree in Psychology, Social Work, Sociology, Criminal Justice or closely related field.
- Monday -- Friday 8:00 a.m. -- 5:00 p.m. (Saturdays if needed)
- Based on 26 Pay Periods Plus Mileage Reimbursement
Employment is contingent upon passing a background check and drug screen.
Due to a high volume of applications positions may close prior to the advertised closing date or at the discretion of the Hiring Department.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Keeping residents and our community healthy & safe!