Pharmacy Technician Specialist - League City Campus
This job is no longer accepting applications.
The Pharmacy Technician Specialist will work as a system-level pharmacy technician and assist Pharmacy Leadership with data collection, auditing financial, operational and technological systems for the University of Texas Medical Branch Pharmacy Department. Pharmacy Technologist Specialists are responsible for managing the processes, automations, personnel and finances that support medication compounding and dispensing within the department.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Collaboratively support pharmacy operations by assisting with training and education to new staff members and nurses in pharmacy initiatives.
- Communicates effectively with other pharmacy employees, healthcare professionals, and patients while appropriately recognizing age (pediatric, neonate, adolescent, adult, and geriatric).
- Performs quality assurance/improvement audits and maintains a neat clean and organized work area.
- Troubleshoot equipment problems. Inform staff of equipment status. Schedule service with appropriate vendor, Biomedical Services, or Information Services. Observe all UTMB Health safety policies.
- Review policies and procedures that affect the pharmacy systems. Work closely with the Pharmacy Director, Pharmacy Leadership, Clinical Pharmacy Specialist, UTMB Health Information Systems, and UTMB Health’s Clinical Departments in the development of operating standards, policies, and procedures.
- Develop pharmacy change and configuration management, policies, and procedures in conjunction with UTMB Health Information Services.
- Develop and maintain policies (i.e., Password management, security, disaster recovery, off-hour support, quality assurance, data integrity, archiving regulations, and monitors for narcotic diversion).
- Ensure the integrity and accuracy of information in the dispensing machines is in accordance with department, health system, and regulatory guidelines.
- Accurately interpret and communicate UTMB Health’s policies and procedures.
- Demonstrates the ability to operate automated technology including compounding, repackaging, cartfill and automated dispensing systems.
- Demonstrate correct safe technique in the use of equipment while maintaining the department in a clean, neat, and safe environment for staff.
- Proficient with automated dispensing machine applications as they interface to other UTMB Health clinical systems and pharmacy equipment.
- Work closely with Pharmacy Purchasing to identify inventory issues and make par level recommendations.
- Routinely work with Pharmacy and Nursing Leadership to initiate corrective action when problems are identified.
- Solicit and review feedback from end users, compile and analyze support data and recommend procedural and educational changes as appropriate.
- Prepare reports for Administration on operational aspects as appropriate, or as directed.
- Participate in vendors user group and maintain relationship with vendor to remain knowledgeable and provide input about new and proposed system enhancements and functionality.
- Demonstrates flexibility in staffing assignments while adhering to internal controls and reporting structure. Assists in record keeping activities in any assigned area.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor degree in a directly related discipline (business, healthcare administration, allied health, information technology, etc.) OR
- High School or equivalent and three (3) years of professional work experience in a related field of specialty (quality assurance, business/healthcare/pharmacy administration, pharmacy informatics/information systems, etc.) OR
- High school or equivalent and five (5) years of pharmacy technician experience with an emphasis on knowledge of medications used in inpatient, ambulatory care
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS OR CERTIFICATIONS
- Registered Pharmacy Technician with the Texas State Board of Pharmacy
- Pharmacy Technician Certification Board (PTCB) National Certification; required to maintain PTCB active status
- Bachelor degree in a directly related discipline (business, healthcare administration, allied health, information technology, etc.) and three (3) years of professional work experience in pharmacy informatics (i.e. pharmacy information systems and technology)
- ACPE approved IV (sterile products) certification
- Submitting prior authorizations
- Benefits investigation
- Submitting appeals
- Exploring patient medication financial assistance options
- Coordinating fulfillment of orders with dispensing pharmacy
- Identifying/resolving barriers on behalf of the interdisciplinary care teams
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Official Twitter account for the University of Texas Medical Branch, the first academic health center in Texas