PUBLIC HEALTH EDUCATOR
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Division: Maternal Child Health
Section: Healthy Families Houston
Reporting Location: 8000 N. Stadium Dr.
Workdays & Hours: M-F, 8am-5pm
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES/ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
Houston's Health Department is seeking a professional applicant to perform the following duties:
- Perform home visits for enrollment and continued services in accordance with the Healthy Families America (HFA) model and guidelines using the Growing Great Kids Curriculum within the greater Houston area.
- Develop a therapeutic relationship and implements an individual Family Support Plan including a Birth Plan with women and their families to promote problem solving and self-sufficiency.
- Utilize principles and concepts of parallel process and reflective practice (modeling, relationships, change theory, client centered strength based and solutions).
- Document all official activities on appropriate forms and reporting tools including immunizations, breast feeding education, family planning linking families to medical providers, breast feeding education and immunizations in the Client Track system.
- Participate in community projects, presentations and outreach activities.
The position requires stooping, bending. Occasional very light lifting, such as three or four reams of paper or books (up to 20 pounds or an equivalent weight) may be required.
Requires a Bachelor's degree in Education, Behavioral Science or a closely related field such as Public Health.
No experience is required.
Directly related professional experience in Public Health, Education or a closely related field may be substituted for the education requirement on a year-for-year basis.
**Preference shall be given to eligible veteran applicants provided such persons possess the qualifications necessary for competent discharge of the duties involved in the position applied for, such persons are among the most qualified candidates for the position, and all other factors in accordance with Executive Order 1-6.**
SELECTION/SKILLS TESTS REQUIRED
Application review and/or interview. However, the Department may administer a skill assessment evaluation.
SAFETY IMPACT POSITION Yes
If yes, this position is subject to random drug testing and if a promotional position, candidate must pass an assignment drug test.
Pay Grade 14
SALARY INFORMATION GENERAL FUNDED
Factors used in determining the salary offered include the candidate's qualifications as well as the pay rates of other employees in this classification.
Only online applications will be accepted for this City of Houston job and must be received by the Human Resources Department during active posting period. Applications must be submitted online at: www.houstontx.gov.
To view your detailed application status, please log-in to your online profile by visiting: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/houston/default.cfm or call 832-393-4888.
If you need special services or accommodations, call (832-393-4888). (TTY 7-1-1)
If you need login assistance or technical support call 855-524-5627.
Due to the high volume of applications received, the Hiring Department will contact you directly, should you be selected to advance in our recruitment process.
All new and rehires must pass a pre-employment drug test and are subject to a physical examination and verification of information provided.
EEO Equal Employment Opportunity
The City of Houston is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and providing a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based upon any legally protected status or protected characteristic, including but not limited to an individual's sex, race, color, ethnicity, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity, or pregnancy.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We protect the "H".