Resettlement Case Worker
This job is no longer accepting applications.
The Resettlement Case Worker will have the unique opportunity to work with the Refugee Services team. This role will provide resettlement case work for 150 clients per year. They will also provide all core services in the prescribed time period and develop a unique and individualized service plan with newly arrived refugees to achieve self-sufficiency through R&P, Match Grant and RSS services. Work with the Refugee Services staff to meet all program guidelines.
- Pick up refugee families at the airport.
- Provide resettlement orientation and develop unique and individual service plan for each refugee family based on their needs, challenges and goals to achieve self sufficiency.
- Follow up with clients on the developed service plan and use independent judgment to resolve any challenges that might hinder the plan to achieve self sufficiency.
- Analyze the refugee family situation and make proper referrals to Employment, Match Grant, RCA, ESL and other appropriate programs.
- Conduct the intake process with Special Immigrant Visa Holder and Asylees to determine their eligibility to receive the federal Reception and Placement program services from the Department of State based on their legal status and date of entry.
- Communicate with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services and act on behalf of clients to resolve any issues related to the delay in getting client Employment Authorization Document.
- Apply for government documents and federal and state benefits, such as Food Stamps & Medicaid.
- Ensure school age children have the required immunizations required to be enrolled in school.
- Take children to enroll in school.
- Assess clients with special problems and make appropriate referrals to solve such problems.
- Pick up and deliver household items (sofas, tables, groceries) to refugee families.
- Provide interpretation and transportation to clients as needed.
- Assist with employment services, including job interviews, applications, transportation and follow-up.
- Doing advocacy work for Refugees as need.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Document all services provided in files and case notes, as required by program guidelines.
- Complete all client applications in a timely and accurate manner.
- Prepare and submit reports as required.
Qualifications, Skills, & Experience
- Fluency in one of the refugee languages (Afghani) language is required.
- Fluency in English, with excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- High degree of independent judgment, flexibility and problem-solving skills.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including some late nights and weekends.
- Must be able to lift 30 pounds on a regular basis, and 50 pounds occasionally.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and automobile liability insurance.
Interfaith Ministries (IM) for Greater Houston is an inclusive connector of people, faith communities and resources in our nation’s most diverse city, sustaining healthy and respectful lives for vulnerable populations and promoting interfaith relations and volunteerism.
IM provides four areas of service to the greater Houston community including: Meals on Wheels, Refugee Services, Interfaith Relations and Community Partnerships, and Volunteer Houston. Each of these programs serve different communities but all are based on our shared beliefs and aspirations of building a more respectful, connected, and caring society.
Service is at the core of what we do at Interfaith Ministries. Through empathy and resilience, our employees help provide support to our community through programming and meaningful connection.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
IM for Greater Houston connects people for dialogue, collaboration and service. Meals on Wheels, Refugees Services, Interfaith Relations, Volunteer Ho...