Bilingual Public Health Nurse (LVN)
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Under the supervision of the Mid-Level Provider (NP/PA), in conjunction with the Clinic Site Operations Manager and the Medical Director, the LVN is a member of the Nutrition and Chronic Disease Prevention Division (NCDP) Mobile Preventive Medicine Team. The LVN will be responsible for performing assigned nursing care/field tasks in accordance with Harris County Public Health (HCPH) policies and procedures in division of NCDP.
- In accordance with regulations of the Texas Board of Vocational Nurse Examiners, the LVN will perform direct care in the community, health centers, mobile clinics, and other community-based sites (school districts, libraries, etc.)
- Care will be provided to children, adolescents, and adults
- Interviews clients and records medical/psychosocial information in electronic medical records
- Assists/perform phlebotomy
- Assists with patient appointments by performing phlebotomy (including capillary and venous draws), urine collection, pregnancy tests, lead testing, immunizations, vital signs, patient histories, etc
- Participates in performing quality assurance and checks on lab specimens and prepares specimens for transport.
- Assists the Midlevel Providers, Physicians, and Clinic Site Operations Manager in tracking and monitoring of abnormal lab results and reschedules lapsed appointments
- Dispenses prescribed medication according to Pharmacy D regulations and HCPH procedures and protocols
- Assists in preparing statistical reports
- Maintains confidentiality of client's information
- Maintains knowledge of CDC recommended vaccines and administers age appropriate immunizations as required
- Enhances and encourages creativity to continue to develop a cutting-edge community outreach plan
- Assists with inventory/replenishes needed supplies
- Arranges supplies in order of expiration
- Acts as an alternate immunization coordinator for the Department of State Health Services Vaccine for Children Program
- Expands and strengthens referring provider network
- Performs other duties as assigned, including special tasks involved in responding to an emergency event
Harris County is an Equal Opportunity Employer
If you need special services or accommodations, please call (713) 274-5445 or email ADACoordinator@bmd.hctx.net
- Licensed Vocation Nursing (LVN) degree from an accredited college
- Licensed to practice as a LVN (TX upon hire)
- Two (2) years of Licensed Vocational nursing experience
- Experience with EPIC, electronic medical record, or similar electronic medical record
- Bilingual in Spanish and English
- CPR certification (upon hire)
- Must have a clean driving record; driving record will be verified
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
- Valid Driver's License (TX upon hire) and reliable transportation
NOTE: To qualify for this position, required education, experience, knowledge and skills must be clearly stated on your application's employment history. Resumes are welcome, but we do not use any information provided on your resume to qualify and refer you to the Hiring Department for consideration.
- Phlebotomy certification
- Phlebotomy experience
- Experience working in outpatient setting
- Experience with Family Planning and Healthy Texas Women grants
- 40 Hours/ Week
- Will be discussed During Departmental Interview
- Based on 26 Pay Periods
Additional Information - Core Competencies
- Understands the organizational mission
- Understands ethics and public good; is concerned with public trust
- Demonstrates respect for the opinions and beliefs of others
- Demonstrates a sense of responsibility for the success of the group
- Collaborates with others to improve quality and address needs
- Ability to adapt to change
Interpersonal Abilities/Personal Characteristics
- Uses sound judgment
- Organizes and maintains work environment to allow for maximum productivity
- Communicates clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
- Written and verbal English competency
- Able to read and follow directions
Due to a high volume of applications positions may close prior to the advertised closing date.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Building a healthy community.