This job is no longer accepting applications.
At Houston Methodist, the Administrative Assistant position is responsible for coordinating and maintaining the daily operations of support for the department and ensuring that accountable deadlines are met in a timely and professional manner. Responsibilities for this position include performing routine secretarial and administrative duties which include screening telephone calls, receiving and directing visitors; may resolve routine inquiries. The Administrative Assistant position may schedule and maintain calendar of appointments, meetings and travel itineraries and coordinate related arrangements. This position may also be responsible for assisting with department payroll, maintaining financial records and facilitating communication between departments; may also prepare and distribute minutes of meetings. The Administrative Assistant position performs their tasks using mail services, telephone, e-mail accounts, photocopiers, and internet sources. This position operates a personal computer and appropriate software packages or its equivalent and assists in routine department activities.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Receives and screens visitors and telephone calls in a professional and courteous manner and handles general inquiries. Takes complete messages with accurate date, time, name, number and information which includes determining the nature of each call and prioritizing. (EF)
- Maintains assigned calendar(s). Schedules/coordinates meetings, conferences and WebEx/conference calls, special events, appointments and travel arrangements and keeps leader(s) informed of schedule change prior to meeting or appointment. (EF)
- Provides contributions towards improvement of department scores for employee engagement on department scorecard, i.e. peer-to-peer accountability. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
- Performs administrative tasks and duties specific to department being supported, which may include preparing complicated documents, maintaining databases, accessing information from databases in order to prepare reports, etc. (EF)
- Prepares and transcribes meeting minutes, correspondence, forms, reports, and other written communications as required. Is accountable for ensuring accuracy and completeness through attention to detail. Maintains department record systems to uphold accurate files. (EF)
- Independently prepares, with management review and approval, computer-generated slides and/or hand-outs for the department. Assists with the preparation and maintenance of department organizational charts and policy and procedures, ensuring most current documents are available for department leader(s) and staff. EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
- Performs basic data monitoring/maintenance for the department with minimal supervision. Ensures quality and timely execution of deliverables. Coordinates deadlines related to multiple deadlines including but not limited to reports and presentations. (EF)
- Participates in performance improvement activities to support department/entity goals. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Maintains adequate copier/printer paper and toner; beverage and other inventory items as appropriate. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime. Utilizes time efficiently and helps other team members. (EF)
- Initiates office equipment (copy machine, fax machine and printers, etc.) service calls and follows up to ensure that required maintenance/repairs are performed in a timely manner. Assists with routine equipment troubleshooting such as paper jams, ink cartridge replacement, etc. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Identifies and assumes responsibility of own learning needs and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. (EF)
- Offers innovative solutions through participation in performance improvement projects and activities. Follows up on action items to ensure completion of assignments. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
- Associate's degree required or additional two years of experience (in addition to the minimum experience requirements listed below) required in lieu of degree
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Ability to prioritize, frequently and quickly shift tasks, and adapt to a rapidly changing environment
- Exhibits organizational and critical thinking skills
- Ability to create graphs and spreadsheets
- Possesses excellent customer service skills
- Ability to operate basic office equipment
- Demonstrates ability to work alone and with a team
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software programs, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Proficient in spelling, punctuation, grammar and other English language skills
Work AttireYes/NoUniformNoScrubsNoBusiness professionalYesOther (dept approved)No
On-Call*No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above.
May require travel withinNoHouston Metropolitan area
May require travel outsideNoof Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
As an ISO 9001 certified hospital, Houston Methodist West Hospital not only continues Houston Methodist standard of high quality, advanced technology and personalized care, it also continues the culture focused on employees, volunteers and physicians that Houston Methodist has been recognized for. Houston Methodist West Hospital offers competitive benefits, diversity in the workforce, recognition, and a unique environment focused on patient and family centered care with our I CARE values of integrity, compassion, accountability, respect and
Your application has been successfully submitted.
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PRACTICING MEDICINE AND LEADING IT.