This job is no longer accepting applications.
The Legacy Patient Educator uses health education, disease self-management, goal-setting, motivational interviewing, and other proven techniques to drive healthy change. As an integrated member of the clinic / care team, the Patient Educator help patients make progress toward their health goals by providing tailored information about health promotion and disease prevention. The Patient Educator also assists patients to access and navigate the continuum of care at Legacy and in the community at large. The Patient Educator may also contribute to the development of new health education programming based on patient, clinic, and community needs. Current Patient Education topics include (but are not limited to): Chronic Disease (such as diabetes and hypertension), Infectious Disease (such as HIV and other STDs), and Maternal and Child Health (such as prenatal care, breastfeeding, and family planning). The education provided will consider the multitude of factors that influence health across all lifecycle phases for people of diverse cultures and backgrounds. *Position may be partially or fully funded by grant(s).
- Implement health education programming in one-one-one and group settings to increase the knowledge and self-efficacy of patients to prevent illness, manage health conditions, and improve overall wellness. Core topics will be determined based on clinic assignment and may change.
- Conduct brief assessments of patient needs (behavioral, social, and medical), readiness for health behavior change, and progress over time.
- Assist patients to set goals related to their health.
- Guide patients in navigating the system of care in order to achieve health goals.
- Document all patient services in the electronic health record and other data systems as required.
- Manage patient schedules and desktop in the electronic health record system.
- Serve as a member of an inter-disciplinary clinic and care team and promote effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Establish and maintain referral processes, resource lists, and other community networks to effectively link patients to needed health information and services.
Education & Training Requirements
- High School Diploma or equivalent with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field with a minimum of 1 year of relevant experience preferred.
- Bilingual in English/Spanish preferred.
Work Experience Requirements
- Experience providing direct education to clients of diverse cultures and backgrounds in one-on-one and/or group settings.
- Experience in a healthcare setting.
- Experience with computers and computer programs.
- Ability to provide community health screenings within 6 months if/as required per site assignment.
- Ability to demonstrate core competencies of Patient Education within 3 months of hire.
- 9 Holiday + 1 Floating Holiday
- 403b Retirement Plan
- Medical / Vision / Dental (if eligible)
Legacy Community Health is a premium, Federally Qualified Health Center (FQHC) that provides comprehensive care to community members regardless of their ability to pay. Our goal is to treat the entire patient while improving their overall wellness and quality of life, in addition to providing free pregnancy tests, HIV/AIDS screening. At Legacy, we empower patients to lead better lives by promoting healthy behaviors and offering resources such as literacy classes, family planning services, and nutrition and weight management information.
Our roots began in 1981 as the Montrose Clinic, with specialization in HIV education, testing, and treatment. Since then, the agency has expanded to 10 clinics in Houston, one in Baytown, two in Beaumont, and one in Deer Park with extensive services that include: Adult primary care, HIV/AIDS care, pediatrics, OB/GYN and maternity, dental, vision and behavioral health. We also service students within KIPP and YES Prep schools. Legacy is committed to driving healthy change in our communities.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Driving healthy change in our communities.