This job is no longer accepting applications.
Provide group and/or individual counseling to survivors of domestic and/or sexual violence at off-site, community-based locations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide group and/or individual counseling to survivors of domestic and/or sexual violence
- Work cooperatively with other staff to ensure optimal utilization of resources and efficient management of the program.
- Use resources to provide services to clients.
- Advocate with other agencies on behalf of adults and children.
- Implement all program evaluation to ensure effective programming.
- Provide referral information, counseling and emotional support in a non-judgmental, non-directive manner to clients.
- Model and teach nonviolent discipline and conflict resolution skills to adults and children receiving services.
- Provide written information and recommendations on issues that arise while providing services.
- Report suspected and prior abuse/neglect to either Child Protective Services or Adult Protective Services when appropriate.
- To help break down barriers, Mobile Advocacy is required, this includes meeting the client in the community, work or other safe places, etc. and accompany clients to appointments as needed
- Communicate concerns about clients - both adults and children
- Attend and complete Crisis Intervention Training
- Develop contacts with organizations and agencies that provide services for adults and children
- Maintain accurate records and appropriate documentation of services.
- Other duties may be assigned.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Bachelors degree in Social Work, Counseling or Psychology
- One year counseling experience working with adults
- Six months experience working with groups
Computer Skills: Experienced in Microsoft Office specifically Excel and Outlook
Language: Speak, writes, and understands English proficiently.
Bilingual Spanish/English speaking preferred
Certificates & Licenses: Possess a valid Texas drivers license, reliable means of transportation required.
- Accountability - Ability to make decisions, follow-up and take responsibility for the outcome of those decisions. Ability to open and close classrooms.
- Accuracy - Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
- Detail Oriented - Excellent organizational skills.
- Ethical - Ability to demonstrate conforming to a set of values and accepted standards.
- Honesty / Integrity - Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
- Organized - Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
- Relationship Building - Ability to effectively build relationships with customers and co-workers.
- Reliability - The trait of being dependable and trustworthy.
- Communication, Oral - Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
- Analytical Skills - Ability to use thinking and reasoning to solve a problem.
- Communication, Written - Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
- Flexibility in schedule is needed for staff coverage, client issues, trainings, etc.
- Understanding of issues related to residential programs and sensitivity to cultural diversity.
- Critical thinking skills are also needed to perform duties.
- Ability to stand and walk around for extended periods of time is required. Employee will also need to need to squat or bend, reach outward or upward to effectively discharge job duties.
- Job incumbent must be able to lift/carry and/or push/pull up to 40 lbs.
MISSION OF THE HOUSTON AREA WOMEN'S CENTER: The Houston Area Women's Center works to end domestic and sexual violence and supports all in building safe and healthy lives through advocacy, counseling, education, shelter and support services.
The primary work location for the incumbent in this position is off-site, in community based locations.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTION STATEMENT:
The Houston Area Womens Center has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions are included with the duties and responsibilities. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
HAWC works to end domestic and sexual violence.