Speech Pathologist II - Full Time | Monday-Friday
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Houston Methodist Hospital
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
Category: Speech Therapy
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: March 29, 2021
At Houston Methodist, the Speech-Language Pathologist II (SLP II) is responsible for evaluating and developing the therapy plan of care for a broad range of diagnoses and acuities. May specialize in care for certain complex patient types, through advanced training and education. As an experienced Therapist, provides education to patients, patient's family members, and/or caregivers, and collaborates with other health care professionals as needed for problem resolution and/or achievement of identified patient-specific goals. As a member of the patient care team provides patient care directly. Delivers exceptional patient care with adherence to safety standards and guidelines to ensure optimal patient safety, customer service, and optimum patient outcomes. Serves as preceptor, mentor, and resource to less experienced staff, including other Therapists, and technicians. May act as a clinical resource to students, and Clinical Fellows. Assists with collection of quality metrics and analytics. Assists with development of best practices and process improvement initiatives, as designated. May assist in coordination daily activities in absence of manager or Lead.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20 %
- Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one and others to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
- Serves as preceptor, mentor and resource to less experienced speech language pathologists, helping to advance their professional practice at HM. May develop and present educational and formal training sessions. (EF)
- Teaches and provides guidance to nursing, and support staff. Orients new team members and assists with precepting students in clinical rotations and clinical fellows. (EF)
SERVICE - 20 %
- Performs complete and comprehensive evaluation of patients across a broad range of diagnosis and acuities to identify patient's level of function and to determine the treatment plan. Develops the plan of care based on evaluation findings and implements the speech therapy treatment plan. Assists in providing service to complex patient populations. (EF)
- Provides education to patients, patient's family members, and/or caregivers. Serves as resource to colleagues and nursing in teaching best therapy practice. (EF)
- Collaborates and communicates with the healthcare team modifications to patient's treatment plan, progress, and discharge planning for achievement of identified patient specific goals. (EF)
- Balances and adjusts as needed the caseload for the assigned team members to result in optimum patient care and outcome. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20 %
- Assesses patients regularly, monitors progress towards treatment goals, modifies goals, and plan or program as indicated. Recognizes complications/limitations associated with certain procedures and proactively addresses such for optimum outcomes. (EF)
- Proactively identifies opportunities for corrective action and assists in process improvement by providing recommendations, and contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety. Assists in development of treatment protocols and best practice for certain population or practice area. (EF)
- Provides select oversight of patient care provided by nursing, caregivers, new employees assigned or assigned students, ensuring quality outcomes and the safety of the patient, adjusting activities as applicable. (EF)
FINANCE - 20 %
- Uses resources efficiently to maximize utilization of time and equipment. Meets labor productivity standards by effectively managing established patient load assignments. (EF)
- Maintains accurate and complete documentation of patient education and procedures performed in a timely manner in the patient record. Enters accurate charges for services provided, as applicable. May assist with assigned tasks such as charge development or reconciliations as applicable. (EF)
- Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize tasks for self and for specialty area of focus. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20 %
- Actively participates in and may lead departmental projects and hospital committees. Participates in HM related and approved hospital/community teaching opportunities, community services and/or functions. (EF)
- Assists higher level SLPs with program development and/or clinical competencies. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to specialize and/or expand learning beyond basic competencies with a focus on continual development as a Speech Language Pathologist II. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Graduate of education program approved by the credentialing body for the required credential(s) indicated below in the Certificates, Licenses and Registrations section.
- Completion of HM Speech Language Pathology Clinical Fellowship program; or 3 years of experience as a Speech Language Pathologist and completion of a comparable Speech Language Pathology Clinical Fellowship program
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Texas Speech Language Pathologist License or or eligible for temporary Texas Speech Language Pathologist License- must obtain licensure within 90 days of employment
- Certificate of Clinical Competence in Speech-Language Pathology (CCC-SLP) by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
- American Heart Association BLS
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Demonstrates increasing expertise in treatments provided and/or for a particular patient population.
- Ability to work independently, capable of handling challenging/difficult therapy procedures and patient care situations; demonstrates sound judgment and executes experienced clinical skills.
- Exhibits strong interpersonal, teamwork and leadership skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers.
- Possesses proficient computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems and standard Rehabilitation equipment.
- Demonstrate professional and technical competence in the selection, evaluation, utilization of treatment plans for increasingly complex patient populations.
Work AttireYes/NoUniformNoScrubsYesBusiness professionalNoOther (dept approved)Yes
On-Call*Yes, on a regular basis (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel withinYesHouston Metropolitan area
May require travel outsideNoof Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Based in the Texas Medical Center, Houston Methodist Hospital is delivering on a mission started in 1919, which continues today – bringing quality, integrity, compassion and innovation into everything we do. As the flagship hospital of Houston Methodist, Houston Methodist Hospital is a nationally recognized medical center with a history of health care innovation. Houston Methodist Hospital was awarded Magnet recognition for nursing excellence for a fourth consecutive time by the ANCC. In addition, Houston Methodist Hospital was recently named by U.S. News & World Report as one of the country’s top 20 hospitals and was also ranked the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the fifth consecutive year.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PRACTICING MEDICINE AND LEADING IT.