International Immigration Representative
This job is no longer accepting applications.
International Immigration Representative, Houston
- General Information
- Job Title:
- International Immigration Representative
- 6300 Westpark, Ste. 600
- Houston, TX, 77057
- United States
- Base Pay:
- $16.35 / Hour
- Employee Type:
- Full Time Non-Exempt
- Job Category:
- Full Time
- Contact Information
- Frank Alfonso
- The YMCA of Greater Houston has outstanding benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance, long term disability, life insurance, paid holidays, and 12% retirement paid by our Association upon meeting eligibility requirements.
- YMCA International Services is a unique branch of the Y of Greater Houston and seeks to meet the needs of Houston’s significant refugee and immigrant communities. We provide comprehensive programs that focus on building human assets and fostering self-sufficiency. The YMCA International Services seeks full time LOP Legal Assistant to assist LOP attorneys in conducting and managing the Legal Orientation Program conducted at three immigration detention facilities, the CoreCivic (CCA) Houston Processing Center, IAH Secure Adult Detention Facility and the Montgomery Processing Center. Applicant must be fluent in English and Spanish.
- Duties /Responsibilities
- The program’s goal is to provide high quality legal services to indigent immigrants and asylum seekers held in detention in ICE detention facilities in and around Houston, Texas. Attorneys conducting the Legal Orientation Program provide legal rights presentations and pro se support to adult detainees with pending administrative immigration court hearings. The LOP Legal Assistant’s job is to provide administrative support to attorneys leading the LOP program, which may include:
- Assisting attorneys during set-up and administration of the legal orientations in the detention center, including preparation of all pro se materials for distribution on a weekly basis;
- Revising and/or drafting pro se support materials in the Spanish language;
- For attorney review, preparing relief applications for pro se detainees;
- Providing back-up support to the attorneys in conducting the know-your-rights style presentations in the detention facilities;
- With attorney supervision, conducting intakes of detainees so that attorneys may assess relief;
- Assisting the attorneys in conducting workshops with detained individuals to prepare their pro se applications;
- Conducting follow-up calls and other communications with family members of detainees;
- Conducting basic research into country conditions and/or other related materials to assist in the preparation of relief applications;
- Following up on case outcomes, including making calls to clients and immigration officials. Will involve making case notes in file and keeping files updated;
- Translating documents from Spanish to English;
- Compiling statistics on population served (see below).
- The legal assistant will be primarily responsible for all data management associated with the LOP program, including inputting data from the detention center population served on a weekly or bi-weekly basis, and preparing data reports as required by the program’s grantors. The legal assistant will also prepare weekly case lists for the LOP presentations.
- Legal assistant will work primarily with Spanish-speaking clients. Legal assistant may be asked to assist in conducting intakes for family members of detained individuals during “walk-in Wednesday” community services days (weekly).
- LOP presentations are conducted at the CoreCivic (CCA) Detention Center (Houston, TX), the Montgomery Processing Center (Conroe, TX), and/or the IAH Secure Adult Detention Facility (Livingston, TX), all private detention centers under contract with the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
- Other duties as assigned.
- Candidate must have a Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience.
- Candidate must be fluent in written and oral Spanish and English; additional language helpful.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment; have good organizational skills and be extremely flexible.
- Candidate must have basic computer knowledge in Microsoft Office, as well as familiarity with internet research.
- Knowledge of immigration law is highly desirable; additional training will be provided.
- Must be willing to apply for BIA accreditation within one year of hire date.
- Position requires a clean driving record, reliable transportation, and applicable auto insurance. Candidate must be willing to commute to detention facilities (45 minutes to 1.5 hours away). Federal government clearance is required for this position.
- Report suspicious and inappropriate behaviors and policy violations.
- Follow mandated abuse and incident reporting requirements.
- Meet timelines and deadlines related to supporting systems and employee compliance. Example includes but are not limited to Kronos Workforce Ready for review and approval of time sheets.
- Pay: $16.35 per hour plus full YMCA benefits, Non-Exempt
- Office Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30am – 5:00pm, may include early mornings
- Detention Center: Monday through Friday
- The YMCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer Females/ Minorities/ Veterans/Disabled. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Not a place. A purpose. We are more than buildings and programs. We exist to bring real change to issues affecting our neighbors.